When you’re renting a car it is important to familiarize your self wih the rules for driving in Bugaria – the current laws and useful tips. Here you can find all the information you need for your safe and undisturbed trip with a rented car.
- In Bulgaria drivers keep to the right side of the road.
- Drivers must strictly follow the speed limits:
- Highways – the maxmum speed allowed on the highways is 140km/h, the minimum speed is 60 km/h.
- Interurban roads – the speed limit is 90 km/h.
- Settlements – maximum speed allowed is 50 km/h.
- Driving is prohibited when blood alcohol level exceeds the permitted limit of 0.5 ‰. Above the 1.2 ‰ driving is considered a criminal act.
- Using a mobile phone when driving is prohibited, unless you use a hands-free device.
- The seatbelts are obligatory for all of the passengers in the car. Children under 150 cm must use the back seat and kids under the age of three must use a special seat.
Car parking in the centers of the main cities is paid. Some cities have vending machines and/or SMS systems for paying and you can prepay for a period from 300 min to 3 hrs. Taxes vary between 0,5 and 1 euro per hour. Private parkings may have higher rates. Parking irregularly will result in authorities clamping your car. After two hours it will be taken away to the penalty parking. The fine you’ll be obligated to pay is 15 euro plus 1 euro per hour for every hour your car stays at the penalty parking.
Parking at some popular tourist spots during the tourist season is usually paid.
- In cases of an accident, immediately call 112.
- After you make a reservation for a rental car, check the road status in Bulgaria (click here). You can also call: 0700 13020.